Sunday, March 7, 2010

Macedonian Myth Review














My Midas Touch (Dogfish Head) clone was the
first batch I brewed and it also took the longest. Brewed with 2 lbs of honey and saffron threads during the boil, than 4 cups of grape juice concentrate added at the peak of fermentation this beer is sweet. Boasting an ABV of 8-9%, this is the highest percentage I've obtained as a homebrewer (based on rough calculations). I accidentally primed it with Cane Sugar instead of Corn Starch causing me to wait longer for it to bottle condition.

Appearance: Not pure gold like the original version, but it does have golden highlights on the sides of the glass. Ruby red with a large plume of tan head that fades slowly, I was rather proud of it's appealing nature. There are visible beads of carbonation that maintained a small film.

Aroma: The first waft brought strong hits of grapes, blossoming flowers, and an faint alcoholic sting in my nostrils. It reminded me of a Belgian Triple of Quad without the spicy yeast profile. Taking a couple minutes to savor the smells, I'd conclude that it has fruity wine-like notes.

Taste: Stronger alcoholic presence on the palate that provides a warming effect. Darker fruit flavors come to the front as sweet undertones dominate. I can isolate the grape concentrate confirming the wine-like aromas. There is also a pleasent hint of honey on the back of the palate. I cannot pick out the hops, but I know they help to balance out this beer. I think the Cane Sugar used for priming added an apple-like flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium body because of the residual sugars, but the higher alcohol helps to lift them off the tongue. My lips are sticky and the honey/grape flavors coat my palate. The carbonation gives it a minor champagne-like quality.

Although I did not brew a perfect replica of Midas Touch, I have something that I'm proud of and the time spend waiting has been worth it.

Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment