Thursday, September 17, 2009

Brewing Macedonian Myth














Bottled Myth on 10/12/09. Got a good 4 12paks out of it. The F.G. was 1.016-7. Tasted a touch too sweet, but the more I drank it the malt character started to show itself. I used Cane Sugar as the primer instead of Corn Starch...we'll see how that works out. It will probably take longer to bottle condition since it's a cane sugar is a sucrose and not a dextrose like corn starch (which is a simple sugar and easier for the yeast to break down). Just a little FYI.













I took a gravity reading today (10/10/09) and put the sample in a snifter. The flash really showcases the golden, amber, and mahogany hues. It does not taste that bad. Kind of heavy on the grape concentrate, but from what I remember of Midas Touch (Dogfish Head) it's not that far off. Bottling it tomorrow or Tuesday!


Update! Since last I wrote Macedonian Myth is progressing well. I racked it to the secondary fermenter on the 25th of Sept. and is conditioning now in the basement. A couple nights ago I accidentally left a light on all night right next to the carboy. Light has the tendency to ruin beer giving it a skunky taste. Let's just hope I didn't ruin this beer or I'll be one pissed off homebrewer. I believe this beer is going to have a nice ABV%...here is the run down:
Sept. 15th - 1.071 O.G.
Sept. 19th - 1.042
Sept. 21st - 1.036
Sept. 23rd -1.026
Sept 25th - 1.020
Oct. 5th - 1.018-9
Oct. 10th - 1.017
I still have a couple days left in the secondary fermentor, but so far I'm working with 7.06%. The original specs say that it should be around 9%, but I'm not working with a consistent temp environment and professional gear. I'm happy with it so far.
Flavor profile so far has tastes of honey, saffron, and sweet grapes with a malty backbone. Some bitterness from the Simcoe hops rounds it out.


The early stages of fermentation. I had an O.G of 1.071 and the temp dropped so it took a little longer for the yeast to activate. Today (9/19/09) I added 4 cups of grape juice concentrate and the airlock has been bubbling like crazy ever since. Did a taste test and I have a good feeling about this one.


Rehydrating the saffron threads before letting them steep as the wort cools. They impart a cool golden hue which will hopefully be evident in the final product.


Boiling the wort. There is nothing better than the smell of rich malt and a bouquet of hops as they blend together.


My buddy Noel helping with the brewing and wondering how they get so much yeast in that little vile.

1 comment:

  1. Dude...I'm glad you finally made the blog plunge. Onwards and upwards! I shall be following closely. Feel free to include me in any future brewing projects. I'm game.

    ReplyDelete