Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Oktoberfest is in the Air

Fall is my favorite season of the year. The colors, smells, food, and chill in the air all point towards harvest time. One of the reasons why the Fall holds a special place in my heart can be summed up in one word: Oktoberfest! I think we can all agree that nothing beats a smooth lager with a strong malty backbone. Here is my rich cornucopia of Oktoberfest beers which should be sampled (1 being the best).

1. Samuel Adams Oktoberfest (awesome on draft)
2. Spaten Ur-Marzen
3. Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest
4. Great Lakes Brewing Company Oktoberfest
5. Ayinger Oktoberfest-Marzen

The last two beers have more of a biscut flavor to them than most Marzen styles. The Spaten is smooth and creamy making it very drinkable. Sam Adams is by far the winner with their version of Oktoberfest. I consider it to be the best beer they brew, unfortunately it is only seasonal. I have tried a number of other Oktoberfest beers, but these 5 stuck out to me. The pumpkin ales fall (pun intended) short in my opinion...they all seemed to be lacking depth.

Anyone have more recommendations???

2 comments:

  1. I must say...Sam's Oktoberfest is quite the beer. The Munchens don't know what they're missing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, i had a bunch of Sam's Oktoberfest this weekend for the first time. they went down easy but tasted great the whole time. good call.

    ReplyDelete