Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Steeping Grain

The cash flow has finally allowed me to stock up on brewing supplies and boy did I ever. I just wanted to give a quick shout out of what is coming down the line. I'll be brewing 4 beers by Christmas so be looking for updates and pics. The styles I have chosen are as follows:


1. Marzen

2. Porter (oak aged)

3. Cream Ale (dark)

4. Midas Touch (Dogfish Head Brewery)


Last night I started the madness by brewing a batch of Midas Touch (I've named my rendition Macedonian Myth). After tasting a bottle of this golden elixir and buying Sam Calagione's (founder/brewmaster of Dogfish Head) book on extreme brewing, I decided to give it a try. The recipe calls for 8 lbs. golden malt extract, 2 lbs. of honey, 1/4 oz. of Simcoe hops, and 10 Saffron threads.

However, I mixed it up a little and let a 1/2 lb. of 2-row steep for a while to add body and round out the flavor. I also used more than 10 Saffron threads to enhance the honey/flower profile. The yeast recommended was just a standard all-purpose ale yeast. I used the California Ale by White Labs (WLP001). In addition, the recipe says to add 1 quart of grape juice concentrate after the first couple days of fermenting. This will kick up the ABV% with the addition of fermentable sugars, but also impart a sweet/rich flavor. If you're in a bind trying to find a partiular type of grape juice concentrate, you can simply substitute it with an extract winemakers use.


Raise a glass of goodness!

1 comment: