Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Get you some...

Over the last year my former roommate Noel and I have been trying to get our hands on every Rogue beer we can find (which is rather hard in Chicago). As of right now, not counting the Capt'n Sig's Northwestern Ale I have in my fridge, we have sampled 21 of John Maier's gifts to humanity. I will hopfully get around to posting my findings for each beer, but in this post I'll breifly comment on the Morimoto Signature Series.These ales, and one lager are unique and full of flavor. According to Rogue's website the Imperial Pilsner is, "a hedonistic mouthful." While I'm might not go as far as to use that description, I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the complexity and diversity the Morimoto trifecta deliverers. Now, Rogue Nation might get a little upset with me at what I'm about to say, but most of Rogues ales tend to taste very similar...if not the same. I've chalked this up to the use of "free range coastal water" and "Pacman yeast" so don't go and throw and fit on me. In any case if you want to try a solid Rogue beer (or three) that breaks the norm, get your hands on one of these.

The Soba Ale has a very unique taste due the addition of roasted Soba (Japanese for buckwheat) malt. They give it a nice full-bodied taste which balances well with the hops. The Black Obi has a similar profile to the Soba ale, but takes it a step farther with more roasted grains which lend a richer, darker flavor (almost like a schwarzbier). The Imperial Pilsner is your classic interpretation of an imperial style beer. It has pilsner character which shines through with a bold hop aroma and taste.

I would highly recommend making these you next beer purchase. They might run you a pretty penny (depending on where you shop), but they are definately worth it. Not to mention they have cool artwork!

1 comment:

  1. wow...we've really had 21? crazy. cap'n sig's needs to happen soon.

    now if only we could afford a good kobe steak to go with the morimoto...

    ReplyDelete