Sunday, October 18, 2009

In the Kettle..

Yesterday I was able to brew Split-Log and I'm currently babysitting Maple Marzen while it boils. As it turns out, I could have brewed a Brown Porter or Robust Porter. The difference is rather hard to tell, but based on my O.G. of 1.042 it closer to a Brown. (not quite high enough to be a "robust" porter). I'm sure aging it with medium toasted oak will darken it a little.

I'm excited to see how my rendition of a Marzen turns out. Of course I'm adding a little to it (maple syrup) so I won't have a control to base future batches off of, but in the end doing something unique is what it's all about. Maple Syrup is basically sucrose (which will break down during the boil) and it will add a darker amber color.

Here is the recipe:
1 lb. Vienna Malt 10L
½ Munich Malt 10L
½ lb. CaraMunich Malt
¼ lb. Biscuit Malt
(2) 3.3 lbs. Briess CBW Munich LME
12.5 oz. Maple Syrup (SpringTree-100% pure, grade A dark amber)
(2) 1 oz. Hallertau hop pellets (bittering)
1 oz. Saaz hop pellets (finishing)
Oktoberfest Lager yeast (WLP820)
1 tsp. Irish Moss


It's been a good two days...

No comments:

Post a Comment