Monday, October 26, 2009

Seasonal Depression Syndrome


The last two weeks here in Chicago have been nothing but depression. Cold, rainy, and sun depraved. The advent of Winter should mean one thing for the beer drinker: dark, rich beers. Once we have worked through the early Fall/Oktoberfest beers there is a plethora of Porters, Stouts, Brown Ales, and Schawrzbiers that will help you get through those cold blustery days.

Today I transfered my Split-Log Porter to the secondary fermenter and added oak infusion spirals (medium roasted). The O.G. was 1.042 and my gravity reading today came out at 1.019. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I took a taste test and there was definately an English Porter flavor. Roasted grains were present in the aroma and taste (chocolate malt/black patent). There was a definate hoppy bitterness which rounds out the dark malty backbone. Now I just have to wait about 6-8 weeks to get the desired Oak flavor.

In the mean time, I have my Maple Marzen out in the garage fermenting away. I think I'm going to give it a couple more days till I rack it to the secondary. It is my first Lager and I'm noticing that the yeast is definately taking longer to do it's job.

If you would like to try some good Porters or Stouts here is a quick list to get you going (this is not a definative list).

Sam Adam's - Honey Porter

Summit Brewing Co. - Great Northern Porter

Breckenridge Brewery - Vanilla Porter

Samuel Smith - Old Taddy Porter

Great Lakes Brewing Co. - Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Anchor Brewing Co. - Porter

Southern Tier - Porter

Great Divide - St. Bridget's Porter

New Holland Brewing - The Poet Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith - Oatmeal Stout

North Coast Brewing Co. - Old #38 Stout; Old Plowshare; Old Rasputin; Old Rasputin XII

Big Sky Brewery - Snow Elk Oatmeal Stout

Red Hook - Double Black Imperial Stout

Bell's Brewery - Special Double Cream Stout

Two Brother's - Northwind Imperial Stout

Rogue - Mocha Porter; Shakespeare Stout; Chocolate Stout

Sam Adam's - Cream Stout

1 comment:

  1. Hey I know I'm late on commenting on this - but as a stoutie who just found your blog I wanted to Second your votes for Sam Smith's Taddy Porter and Otameal Stout as well as the Poet and Old Rasputin (for a long time my favorite Imperial). I also wanted to mention Victory's Imperial Storm King and Founder's Imperial and Breakfast Stouts. Also Sam Smiths Imperial Stout. Imperials aren't for everyone, but I'm a big fan. Great blog BTW!

    Brian C

    ReplyDelete