Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Split Log Porter

After getting some quick feedback on Facebook I've decided to brew a Robust Porter. I'm excited to get this one under way because I'm going to be aging it with American White Oak. While owning an Oak Barrel would be nice, they are rather expensive so I bought some wood cubes and a couple infusion spirals. These spirals are cut to maximize surface area for the beer to interact with after you rack the beer to the secondary fermenter.

Here are the ingredients:

1 lb. Crystal Malt 120L
1 lb. Chocolate Malt
½ lb. Rolled Oats (thick cut)
¾ cups Black Patent

3.3 lbs. Briess CBW Sparkling Amber LME
3.3 lbs. Briess CBW Traditional Dark LME
1 oz. Northern Brewer hop pellets (bittering)
½ oz. Perle hop pellets (finishing)
British Ale yeast (WLP005)
1 tsp. Irish Moss


I was going to brew it sometime this week, but my evenings got busy. Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Yep! It is a negatively charged sea weed that attracts positively charged proteins when added to the boil. It's addition helps to clarify the beer during fermentation and conditioning.

    ReplyDelete